History of the Remembrance Driveway
In this paper the description of the Remembrance Driveway Committee's activities during the period 1952 to 1988 and the background history and antecedents to the Remembrance Driveway are extracted from a 1994 paper by Dr Allan Correy from the Department of Architecture, University of Sydney.
Background History and Antecedents
Nearly all cultures have found ways of remembering wars and honouring war heroes. Some preserved the memory through myths and legends and others built monuments in some form. Early monuments, carved in wood or stone, were usually erected as memorial panels in cathedrals and churches and it was not until after the Napoleonic Wars that freestanding monuments appeared in public places. These memorials were not to common soldiers and sailors but were heroic tributes to victorious individuals, usually conquering generals or admirals. One of the most notable is Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square in London. The first memorials to ordinary servicemen came after the Crimean War of 1854-56 when the suffering and courage of British soldiers was recognised for the first time.
The first conflict in which Australia and New Zealand were involved was the South African War of 1899-1902 and memorials to those who served were erected in both countries. However it was the Great War of 1914-1918, which affected the lives of so many people, that fostered an enormous community need to establish lasting memorials to all those who served their countries. This was most apparent in the young Commonwealth countries of Canada, Australia and New Zealand, where both monuments of stone and living memorials were patriotically supported by most citizens. Australia in fact has more war memorials than any other country. Architectural or sculptural memorials such as monumental buildings and arches were favoured at first. Some felt that utilitarian memorials, such as war veteran's homes or hospitals were more appropriate. Many believed that the utilitarian memorial was sacrilegious to the dead and so the idea of a living memorial gained favour. Planting trees was seen as a symbol of hope for the future but above all it was seen as something tangible, which ordinary people could become personally involved with.
The idea of planting trees as war memorials appears to have originated in Great Britain in 1918 when the office of the King's Highway issued a pamphlet titled "Roads of Remembrance as War memorials". The two objectives of this program were to transform suitable existing highways "to the dignity of Roads of Remembrance adorned with trees" and to organise the building of highways "of exceptional dignity and beauty with open spaces at intervals as special memorials to the Great War". Interestingly the idea was taken up by Britain's former colonies but not by Britain itself.
In Canada, memorial avenues were planted in both cities and rural towns but, today, only one at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, planted in 1922, survives intact and continues to be added to. In Australia, from 1917 to 1921, hundreds of avenues of honour were planted to commemorate those who served in the Great War. The first and most famous avenue of honour was the one planted between 1917 and 1919, at Ballarat in Victoria.
After World War II, monuments in stone were not in favour although often rolls of honour, with the names of those who served in the 1939-1945 war, were added to existing 1914-1918 memorials. While many were opposed to monuments, most still supported the idea of some sort of memorial and once again, a living memorial found widespread community support. It is not surprising therefore that the suggestion that the establishment of a Remembrance Driveway linking Sydney and Canberra appealed to politicians and the public alike.
It was Mrs. Margaret Davis who first contemplated planting a living memorial to those Australians who had served in World War II. Mrs Davis was the Founding President of the Garden Clubs of Australia and she suggested it as the Clubs' first project. Recognising the Garden Clubs' limitations, Margaret Davis enlisted the help of other members who had influence in the right places. Those she turned to were Lieutenant General Frank Berryman, Commanding Officer at Victoria Barracks in Sydney, Mr Robert Anderson, Curator and Chief Botanist at the Sydney Botanic Gardens and Charles Moses, General Manager of the ABC.
A preliminary committee, chaired by Charles Moses, was formed in April 1952. He invited a number of interested people to attend the inaugural meeting of the National Memorial Highway Committee held on 21 May 1952 at Broadcast House. An Executive Committee was elected with Frank Berryman as President and this committee was requested to investigate the practicability of establishing a Memorial Highway between Sydney and Canberra to commemorate those who served in the Australian Armed Forces in the Second World War. The objective was to be achieved by planting avenues of trees and establishing groves, memorial parks and other appropriate memorials. The Government provided part time secretarial services and a room to hold meetings at the Department of Local Government was made available. Senior Town planner, Mr Nigel Ashton who with Mr Anderson and Mr Cecil Hawkins, Chief Engineer, Department of Main Roads, surveyed the route of the Driveway served on this committee and he continued to serve until his death in 2008. Past Presidents of the Remembrance Driveway Committee and details of the current Committee membership are at Annex A.
At its meeting on 24 June 1953, the Committee agreed that the name of the project be the Remembrance Driveway. In October 1953 the Remembrance Driveway logo of a laurel wreath and green tree on a yellow background with dark red lettering was approved by the Committee.
The Premier of NSW, the Hon. J.J. Cahill agreed to launch the project by making a statement on the ABC on 9 December 1953 and the Federal Minister for the Interior, Mr Kent-Hughs followed with a statement on behalf of the Commonwealth. A brochure was launched which concluded with a special appeal for donations from all members of society, from large corporations who were invited to sponsor a whole plantation to individual citizens who could donate a single tree for $20.
On 5 February 1954 the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh planted two London Plane trees on the Bridge and Loftus Street corner of Macquarie Place in Sydney and later on 16 February the Queen planted a Snow Gum at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Unfortunately this tree was ringbarked by vandals in 1965 and despite the attempts of a tree surgeon it did not recover. In 1975 the original plaque was placed inside the War memorial for safekeeping and a new plaque with a replacement tree [a Narrow-leaved Peppermint] took its place. These were the first official plantings which physically, marked each end of the Remembrance Driveway and which provided the impetus for subsequent plantings to begin simultaneously from both ends of the Driveway. In 2002 Governor General Peter Hollingworth planted three red spotted gums in Remembrance Park, behind the Australian War Memorial to re-mark the Canberra end of the Driveway.
Following the official launch and the Royal plantings, general enthusiasm and public support for the project was high and remained so for about 10 years. Publicity, through the media, continued and was aimed at encouraging individual donors. Progress on the Remembrance Driveway was broadcast over ABC radio and Radio 2CH and later was given good television coverage. Auxiliaries were formed at Goulburn, Canberra, Camden and Berrima to supervise local plantings, however all have now closed down.
Many individual donations came flooding in and it became impossible to identify individual trees with individual donors as was initially intended. Corporate sponsors however were able to be acknowledged as for example with the Qantas grove at Bass Hill and the Hoyts Theatres grove at Lake George North, now the Arthur Gurney VC Rest Area.
Beginning with modest planting in 1954 the project accelerated over the next few years with plantings at 10 sites in 1955, 19 sites in 1956 and 7 sites in 1957. Fewer plantings were undertaken from then on, partly because there was a limited number of new sites available but also because the main effort was concentrated on maintaining the many thousands of trees already planted.
In 1962, six new plantations were established and in 1967, 1973 and 1979 some small plantations were put in at Bass Hill and Cabramatta on the Hume Highway, in Sydney's inner west, but generally the Committee concentrated its efforts on maintaining existing plantations and investing surplus funds to generate income during the period of high interest rates. A pause was also called for because it was recognised that the development of the new expressway which was to replace the old Hume Highway would call for a reassessment of the route the Driveway should take. Public interest was waning. Many believed that the Remembrance Driveway had been completed and the Committee disbanded. No new sponsors were forthcoming and individual donations ceased. The maintenance of the established plantations became difficult and it was due only to the dedicated work of the Committee that the plantations survived.
Victoria Cross Rest Areas
- John Edmondson VC Rest Area - Roses Lagoon
- Arthur Gurney VC Rest Area - Lake George North
- Bruce Kingsbury VC Rest Area - Penrose State Forrest
- John French VC Rest Area - Yarra Interchange
- William Kibby VC Rest Area - Near Yarra Interchange
- Percival Gratwick VC Rest Area - Collector
- Rawdon Middleton RAAF VC Rest Area - Gundaroo Turnoff
- William Newton RAAF VC Rest Area - Gundaroo Turnoff
- Albert Chowne VC Rest Area - Marulen
- Kevin Wheatley VC Rest Area - Lake George
- Peter Badcoe VC Rest Area - Lake George
- Charles Anderson VC Rest Area - Geary's Gap
- Thomas Derrick VC Rest Area - Towrang Creek
- Hughie Edwards VC Memorial Park - Federal Highway ACT
- John Mackey VC Rest Area - Illawarra Highway Junction
- James Gordon VC Rest Area - Belanglo
- Richard Kelliher VC Memorial Park - Campbell ACT
- Reginald Rattey VC Memorial Park - Campbell ACT
- Frank Partridge VC Rest Area- Menangle
- Ray Simpson VC Memorial Park - Campbell ACT
- Leslie Starcevich VC Memorial Park - Campbell ACT
- Sir Roden Cutler VC Rest Area - Prestons
- Edward Kenna VC Rest Area – Pheasants Nest
- For the future
- Mark Donaldson VC Rest Area
- Keith Payne VC Rest Area
- Benjamin Roberts-Smith VC Rest Area
- Daniel Keighran VC Rest Area
The modern revival of the project began in the early 1990’s. In 1991 the Roads and Traffic Authority [RTA] took up sponsorship of the Driveway Committee. In 1992 over 500 trees were planted within the existing Villawood plantation to commemorate those who had served in the Vietnam War and in 1993, one of the original sponsors, Qantas, carried out additional planting in their Bass Hill plantation. In 1993, the Army planted and dedicated the largest plantation for many years on the F5 and Narellan Road interchange at Kenny Hill. [This is the turn off to the Mount Annan Botanic Garden and in a co-operative effort by the Authority and the Garden, further development of this area began in late 1999.] Also in 1993, the Committee accepted after much discussion, that the Remembrance Driveway should move away from the old Hume Highway route to the new highway between Liverpool and Goulburn. It reluctantly agreed that responsibility for the sections of the Driveway which were being bypassed would pass back to local authorities and/or community groups. These sections of the old Driveway could be referred to as Remembrance Drives or Remembrance Groves if that was the local wish but no longer would they be a part of the Remembrance Driveway.
In April 1997, in a joint statement, the Federal Minister for Transport, Mr John Sharp MP and the Minister for Veteran's Affairs, Mr Bruce Scott MP committed $4 million of Federal funding which was passed to the RTA, to accelerate a programme of naming rest area sites after the then 21 deceased Australian Victoria Cross recipients from World War II and Vietnam and to enable the refurbishment of rest areas and tree plantations and to better provide for public information signage along the Remembrance Driveway.
The Committee, in conjunction with RTA staff, had initiated phase one of the Victoria Cross Rest Area Project in 1995 with the aim of dedicating Rest Areas to the memory of the 12 posthumously awarded World War II and Vietnam War winners. Phase one began with the dedication of three Rest Areas at Roses Lagoon, Lake George North and Penrose State Forrest. This was widened following the dedication of the Federal Government funds, to encompass all the deceased Victoria Cross recipients from these conflicts. Rest Areas in their honour have been/are to be established (listed at the right).
In the ACT, because NSW RTA responsibility for development of the Driveway stops at the border, Government authorities are ensuring that the Driveway with all its features continues on to the Australian War Memorial. In September 2000, the ACT Government and it's Department of Territory and Municipal Services sponsored the development of the Hughie Edwards VC Memorial Park in the northern approaches to Canberra and in the Remembrance Park, behind the Australian War Memorial, Campbell, the Department prepared a specially landscaped site for three landmark trees to mark the Canberra end of the Driveway. These were planted by the Governor- General, His Excellency the Right Reverend Peter Hollingworth AC, OBE, in November 2002 to replace the tree planted by Her Majesty in 1954, which had died. The Department also completed the construction of the Kelliher VC and Rattey VC Memorial Parks, in this park. These were dedicated in October 2002. In 2005 the Committee commissioned the additional construction of the Ray Simpson VC and Leslie "Tom" Starcevich VC memorials in this Park.
In December 2006, in the presence of Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC, CVO, Governor of New South Wales, the Committee dedicated the Sir Roden Cutler VC Memorial Interchange and companion VC Rest Area. This interchange is at the intersection of the M5 and M7 motorways at Prestons.
On 15 November 2010, in the presence of Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC, Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Committee dedicated the Australian Defence Force Memorial Plantation. This 45,000 tree Plantation extends 15.5 kilometres along the Remembrance Driveway between the Sir Roden Cutler VC Memorial Interchange at Prestons and the Mount Annan Botanic Garden. The Memorial recognises all Australian Defence Force personnel who have served and will serve in various theatres of conflict, including peace keeping missions following the Vietnam era. Memorial walls on both the northbound and southbound roadways identify the plantation to passing motorists.
In August 2012, in the presence of Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC, CVO, Governor of New South Wales (who had recently become Patron of the RDC) the Committee dedicated the Edward Kenna VC Rest Area at Pheasant Nest. This site has set a very high standard for VC Rest Areas established in conjunction with Motorway Service Centres.
The Committee's objectives for 2013/14 are as follows:
- With the help of Roads and Maritime Services remain alert for any developments which might enable the dedication of VC Rest Areas for Keith Payne VC, Mark Donaldson VC, Benjamin Roberts-Smith VC and Daniel Keighran VC.
- Maintain the Remembrance Driveway website.
- The inventory of Remembrance Driveway assets is nearing completion and the process for Heritage Listing upon the S 170 Register is about to begin. The Committee will ensure that the heritage listing process proceeds to conclusion.
- Attempt to increase interest in the maintenance of Winsor Park, on the corner of Brunker Rd and Hume Highway, Chullora, with a view to bringing it to the standard of other Remembrance Driveway plantations.
- Progress the maintenance of trees in the Chullora and some Bass Hill sections of the Driveway.
- Oversee the maintenance of existing VC Memorial Rest Areas to ensure that they are maintained at the required standard.
- Encourage the improvement of existing plantations (in particular the Sir Roden Cutler VC Interchange and rest area) and the development of new ones.
There has always been a cordial relationship between the Remembrance Driveway Committee and the Department
of Main Roads and its successors the Roads and Traffic Authority and then Roads and Maritime Services. They have been represented
on the Committee from the start. The Authority/Service took up sponsorship of the Driveway Committee in 1991 and since then
has supported the concept of the Remembrance Driveway with financial, planning and material assistance. It is this involvement
which has enabled the Remembrance Driveway Committee to complete the development phase of the Remembrance Driveway project.
The Committee thanks them.
The Committee has been very well served by the immediate past two Presidents. Major General Kevin Latchford began the modern revival of the project when he assumed the presidency in 1989, and Commodore Ian Callaway continued with the revival through to 2012. The Remembrance Driveway made great progress under the leadership of these two Presidents who both passed away in 2013; Major General Latchford died in February and Commodore Callaway died in September of that year.
The Remembrance Driveway is a tribute from those who remember yesterday and have faith in tomorrow. It commemorates those who have served in the Australian Defence Forces in World War II and subsequent wars or who have served since then in operational theatres around the world, in defence of the nation's interests. The Driveway now has achieved the form and status its founders imagined. It is complete so far as it can be. But it is a living memorial and under the careful stewardship of the Remembrance Driveway Committee, it will continue to grow as new opportunities present themselves. Ian Scott AM Air Commodore, RAAFAR
Remembrance Driveway Committee
REMEMBRANCE DRIVEWAY COMMITTEE
Lieutenant General Sir Frank Berryman KCVO CB CBE DSO - 1952-1981
Sir Charles Moses KB CBE - 1981-1988
Mr Robin Wood - 1988
Mr Nigel Ashton AM - 1989
Major General Kevin Latchford AO 1989 - 1999
Commodore Ian Callaway OAM 2000 - 2012
REMEMBRANCE DRIVEWAY COMMITTEE
Air Commodore Ian Scott AM, RAAFAR
Air Commodore Frank Burtt OBE (Retd)
Mr Ken Bradley
Mr David Farquhar
Mr Ken Bradley
Mr. Steve Amos
Ms Anne Bonner
Mr Ken Bradley
Mr Bill Harrigan
Mr Ian Henderson
Mr Greg Jackson
Mr Peter Kalina
Mrs Sally Kalina
Ms Judy Keast
Ms Wendy Thompson
Mr Alexander Weilsman
ACT Government Representative
Mr Steve Amos [ACT Department of Territory and Municipal Services]
Returned Services League Representatives
Mr Bill Harrigan
Mr Ian Henderson
Garden Club of Australia Representatives
Mr Ken Bradley
War Widows Guild NSW Representative
Ms Wendy Thompson
Mr Greg Jackson
Mr Alexander Weilsmann